Saturday, June 27, 2015

Rainbow Connections

I guess I feel the need to apologize... 


I'm sorry...

I'm sorry, but I will not allow anyone to force me to redefine the meaning of "love."

Note that I did not say "marriage."  That was on purpose; by design.

Many years ago, when confronted with what a church pastor felt was my completely non-biblical and incorrect view of speaking on tongues, I was challenged to do something I rarely did - actually research the Bible and see if my views on that topic could be supported.

Weeks of research led me to the conclusion that SOME of what I believed was wrong while MOST of what I believed was easily supported by the Bible, which I believe to be God's written Word for all mankind.

In recent weeks I have begun the same process with the, now, very controversial issue of same-sex marriage.

As I read the scriptures - both old and new testament - and even the red words by Jesus - I don't see any way around the notion that, as far as the Bible is concerned, a "homosexual lifestyle" is NOT commended by God.  It is always spoken of in negative terms.  The same way divorce, adultery, gluttony, gossip, slander, hate, blasphemy, murder and other issues are spoken of in negative terms. It is never brought forth as a desirable lifestyle.  Not once.  That can only lead to the conclusion that, as far as God is concerned, it is a sin.

Like every other sin, however, it is also trumped by God's love, mercy and grace.  He does not turn a deaf ear or a blind eye to our sin.  He does something better - he restores us.  He accomplished this by offering His only son, Jesus, on the cross to be the one-time sacrifice for our sins.  That's not my opinion - that is fact from the Bible. If you don't believe the Bible, then it's a moot point for you - I get that.  But that means ALL content of the Bible must be moot - you can't pick and choose only the parts you like or agree with.  That's another post for another time...

The point is - God's LOVE is THE most important thing.  And His love is NEVER forced or pushed or shoved or used as fodder for battle, hate, anger or dispute.  True, actual love - God's love - somehow permeates every man-designed theory, notion, attitude and action.  God's love always wins. To say "Love Wins" (the current battle cry regarding same-sex marriage) is far too simplistic and, actually, untrue.  The love I have for my dog does not "win."  It's just a really nice feeling I have.  But GOD'S LOVE always runs deeper and shines brighter.

The current climate of "you BETTER paste a rainbow on your FB page to prove you love!" is just bullshit.  That is FORCING love.  That is DEMANDING love.  That is SHOVING a particular human definition of love into people's faces that comes from arrogance and is laced in hate.

To truly love means to figure out a way to get past those things that separate us.  It does not mean we must fully embrace nor accept the thoughts, beliefs and actions of others.  That is not love.  That is pandering.

I love gay people.  I love black people.  I love tall people, short people, skinny people, fat people, stupid people, smart people.  SOME people irritate the hell out of me.  Just like I irritate the hell out of people sometimes.  But LOVE - REAL love - GOD'S love - gets past all that.  God's love calls us to actually allow others to be who they are without fear of being bullied, forced, chastised, or pushed around until they cave in.  That is how I am to love a homosexual.  And that is how a homosexual is supposed to love me. The love God calls us to is never a one-way street.

God's love truly is unconditional. Period.

Based on what I read in the Bible, I can never agree that "a homosexual lifestyle" is acceptable to God.  However, I will ALWAYS agree that a homosexual, just like me, needs to be loved and accepted for who they are as a human being.  No finger pointing.  No slandering.  No hate.  This is the ONLY type of love mandated by God - - that we love one another in spite of our differences. God created me to love you.  God created you to love me.  He created us to love one another regardless of our political bias, our religious beliefs, our morals, our arrogance, our lousy personalities... and the list goes on and on.

Love One Another - That's God's plan.  

There will always be those screaming for laws on the books to FORCE this or that philosophy. Those laws do not define the underlying issue or concept.  They - are - just - laws.

But God's law - in this case, His law regarding love - is the only true law to follow.

Love like God.  Love like Jesus...

because the only Rainbow Connection worth embracing is the one that connects us to God's love.




1 comment:

Wayne Havens said...

Love it..very well put. Thanks