Monday, June 8, 2015

Stinky Fish



Let me just say at the outset, this is more of a rant than a blog post. 

I love Jesus and I love His children.  But over the past several years I've experienced what I might call a lack of Christian love from some (note, I did say some) of His followers.  And, frankly, I don't get it... it leaves me feeling like the "fish" is a little stinky.

My most recent experience was with an up-and-coming Christian organization who creates ministry content for use in churches for all age groups.  They are located out of state which is why I found it odd - almost a "God-thing" - that I found their job listing on Craigslist in my own state.  The job appealed to me and seemed to be a perfect fit for my skill sets.  The idea of a regular full-time position has been growing within me for some time and I felt that, perhaps, God was leading me in this new direction.

So, I sent an initial email of introduction, they responded, we chatted over email and by phone, they flew me to their corporate offices for an interview, the interview went great, I got home and received a job offer from them with a salary that, honestly, was quite low for what the position demanded and the skill sets I brought to the table.  

I came back to them with a counter offer which was the top of their posted salary bracket.

Then I received an email saying they changed their mind; that I actually did not meet the needs for the position after all and a few other things that, really, were not true.   And this left me wondering why, then, the initial email offer if I did not meet the requirements?  

My dilemma is that, because they are a Christian company, and I am a Christian, there is an unwritten rule that we must hide behind phrases such as "God guided me" or "we prayed about this" or "the Lord told us..."  

Really?  How 'bout honesty?  

Why can't you just say, "no, we are only offering what we are offering and that's the end of the discussion" without trying to turn it into some sort of "holy" event?

What angers me is that this sort of "mixed message" experience goes on sometimes within Christian businesses, be it a church, a media company, a university or similar Christian organizations.  I know people first hand who have gone thru similar, heart-wrenching, confusing experiences within the Christian community.  I don't get it.  I don't like it.  

And - it - stinks!

Sadly, this company's decision was made based on money.  I understand that businesses have budgets and that money is needed to operate companies and all of that.  So, then, don't offer a salary bracket in your ad to begin with and don't belittle the applicant or their abilities in order to justify paying them less!  Very bad form...

Why do Christians and Christian organizations feel the need to hide behind the fish?  It is not more mature to be dishonest.  It is not more godly to pretend all is well and then turn the tables on someone. In fact, it is very dishonoring to God and your fellow believer to speak in a condescending "holy" tone of voice when in your heart you have no intention of following through with what you are inferring.  That is not what it means to be a Christian.  

As I say, there are plenty of really great Christians and Christian companies out there.  I just feel led to call out the ones who reveal themselves to be lacking in living out what that fish on the building actually represents.  

Some will say, "grow thicker skin, Dan, just get over it and move on."  I did and I have.  This is not about throwing a pity party.  It's about holding each other accountable in the Kingdom. 

So, please listen...

If you run a Christian organization, or help lead one, please do all of us a favor and either live what you preach, or scrape the stinky fish off the building.  

Because sometimes you are definitely NOT doing what Jesus would do.  

No comments: